Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lucky Find: Klackbo Chairs





I was at a flea market near home and a couple of these chairs caught my eye...not the typical flea market find. They didn't look much like the picture at all-the mod black and white cover was faded and stained...ick. But, I like how wide and modern the shape looked. And we needed some comfy and inexpensive chairs for our reading area. We asked how much they wanted for them, considering the condition of the fabric, and we got them both for $8.00
As soon as we got them home I turned them over and worked on removing the covers. I knew I would absolutely have to recover them. That's when I discovered an IKEA tag. That made me giddy for three reasons: 1. Possibly finding new covers online! 2. Not having to make covers myself! (Especially since I don't have any sewing skills) 3. I am amazed to find modern furniture in such a small town, and that I knew I had found something cool.
So, then I began scouring the net to find info on the chair, which, as I kind of expected are discontinued. Most of what I found out is that the chair is in fairly high demand, and many people were looking for covers. I ended up going to ebay to find some neutral colored covers, which were $29 each. But they made the $4 chairs look brand new. Not a bad deal. They are comfortable, in good shape, and have a little rock/bounce in them, which is fun. Here's a (pretty bad) photo of one of them in our reading/library area. It is a work in progress in our loft apartment. More about that in later posts.
Recycle//Remix Project Recap
IKEA Klackbo Chairs $4 each
Chair Covers $29 each
Shipping $9.59
Cost per chair:
About $38
Time:
30 mins (removing and replacing covers)

No comments:

Post a Comment