Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dated to sophisticated: End Table Makeover

I found this little end table for $15 at a flea market. I loved the tiny drawer, and I thought with a fresh coat of paint, this table could work anywhere-a nightstand, next to a couch, or in a reading nook. The legs are solid wood, which made it easy to sand and remove most of the dark green paint. The top of the table and the shelf are unfortunately made from particleboard. As I worked on cleaning it and sanding it, the veneer coating on the particleboard top began to peel, revealing the nasty chunky texture beneath. I went ahead and painted it using white spray paint. I love spray paint for quick makeovers, and it is sooo much easier to cover things like this.


After I painted it, I thought of a good way to solve the problem of the rough edges around the top. I measured it, and found that is was a common width in ribbon, so I glued ribbon around the top and bottom. I used a clear glass knob from Target ($4.99) to class it up a little. Finally, I took some pretty metallic scrapbook paper to line the drawer.


Recycle//Remix Project Recap


Recycled End Table $15
Spray Paint $6.99
Drawer Knob $4.99
Ribbon $1.50
Decorative Paper $0.75

Total Cost:
$29.23

Total Time:
About 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment